11/11/08

Veterans Day (and Jill's b-day)

The highlight of my day was speaking Russian to the Ukrainian man at the Russian grocery. I saw a Russian newspaper, and on the cover, a dollar bill with Chairman Mao's face! I could read it, but asked for better translation from him, however his English isn't great. After I said I spoke a little and made many pauses b/c Mandarin vocabulary has taken over, he would translate whatever I said in English; I know how to say it but am out of practice.
This morning I watched "You are what you eat," a BBC show about unhealty, obese Brits who are given a detox regimen for 8 weeks and come out looking so much better. It inspired me to go to the health food store. My sister had a half day b/c of the holiday. Mom took pics of us under the orange maple tree in the backyard. I saw Kelly's former best friend, who I hadn't seen in over a year or w/o braces. She's 17 now and can drive herself.
It was nice last night to come home and watch hbo briefly. I woke up this morning to the stuffed blue marlin painted electric blue hanging on the wall of my cousin's bedroom; her husband caught it on their honeymoon in Hawaii a few years ago. I thought, "She's had to wake up to that many mornings!"

No comments: