Yesterday my Mom and I planned to go to Costco and didn't go until after 2pm because I had some things to do first. It was so cool to see upon arriving, at the photo center, Mrs. Yaffe, whose 4th grade class I taught French to senior year of high school! I told her where I work now, that it uses French a little but I want a new job, that I taught English in China after graduation, and that my co-teacher did become a primary school teacher in Northern VA. An accomplishment, now that I think about it, is that I didn't start to tear up. I sometimes do this when I see people I haven't seen for a while and feel sad when they ask how I've been.
I didn't tell her I called the school back in April, I guess, to ask if she was still there (I figured she retired. That was when I was housesitting at my cousin's, who lives near the school.) She said I could consider subbing (no, thank you!) and teaching, in general, because it's a fairly secure job. (I was about to tell her the native French teacher I know around here said her job is in jeopardy and thinks of learning Spanish in case there isn't need for French).
Going out last night was definitely what I needed. I don't really care for the dance spaces I've been to in Richmond, but they'll have to do for now. I didn't feel it appropriate to grind with anyone since I was with a circle of friends. Guess I feel more comfortable grinding when it's darker and a huge space! Anonymity. We went to Shauna's, and Yennhi dragged her out even though she said she's sick. Hope I don't get more sick from her, because we danced (holding hands), and I didn't wash my hands before eating fries and pizza at Aladdin. I didn't know about that place, which is open til 3 and has houkka. Who would want prune flavor? haha.
I saw a guy from high school who may have been in my homeroom since his last name starts "Hu." I talked to him and then his gf came back, and I realized it may look like I was hitting on him! I told her we went to high school together, but my voice isn't that strong right now and it was so loud. I also recognized a guy who msged me on the meetup site, but I didn't say hi. Funny to recognize people you haven't met, just from a photo!
A really funny thing: Thursday I put up (in multiple tries) the beginning of my photos from Cali. Stella, my Chinese acquaintance who I thought I'd see in San Francisco but then she had to leave a day earlier, liked my photos of Santa Cruz, and thinking they were San Fran, asked if she could put them in her photo album! So 2 or 3 of my photos, one with sea lions(!), has her tagged. I don't care if she does that, but my friend did say "A random Chinese girl tagged herself." I don't think Stella understands tagging means you are in the photo.
1 comment:
Your entry can be subtitled, "It's a small world afterall!" :)
Post a Comment