8/20/09

NYC résumé Day 1

What I did in NYC last weekend, en bref (or maybe not so bref):

-Upon arrival at hostel around 8:30am, because I couldn't check in until 3, I took a walk down Lexington, Park, and Madison Avenues. On Saturday mornings in the summer, they close off sections of Park Ave so people can ride their bikes, jog, or walk safely; that was neat to see. Stopped at the Asia Society Museum, but it was mainly film showings, and I felt I needed to get back for when Viviane arrived. Stopped at "La Maison du chocolat" and thought of getting a drink, but it is $9.50 for a frozen chocolate.
- Back at the hostel, was pleasantly surprised when hostel staffer not only said I could check-in early (after noon), but that instead of the 8-bed female dorm, he placed us in a 2 bedroom by ourselves for no additional cost! The blasting A/C was welcome after I went up the 3 flights of stairs (good for the glutes and calves).
- After a shower, I wanted to lay down and sleep a little since I had taken the overnight Chinatown bus, but Viviane was due to arrive and hadn't called yet; I wondered if I were dialing her intl number properly. I finally got through to her, and learned she was lost, possibly on the other side of Central Park. I quickly got dressed, forgetting my day Subway card, and thought I'd have to take a taxi to find her. Luckily, she arrived soon after.
- Lunch at the nice little establishment "The furry dog" (?) next to hostel. Got "brunch" salad of spinach, hardboiled eggs, and cheese.
-Chinatown: Viviane hadn't found a purse her last time in NYC in May. She found one and was still happy with it the following days.
-SoHo/NoHo- Clothes shopping. I got a elbow-length sleeve shirt for $3.99. Viviane got a nice denim strapless sundress.
- Back at hostel, then walk to Central Park at sunset. The female Romanian tourist who took our photo said "So romantic," at which V and I looked at each other. The woman then said "You don't have to be lesbian for it to be romantic." Funny a Romanian said that.
- Then we got confused in the subway, and waited for trains that didn't come. So we didn't arrive at Indian restaurant until 10:00, taking a $5 ride in a hybrid taxi. We were the only diners at that time. We ordered paneer saag and lamb madras for old times sake. V got a sweet lassi. We were very full, and I felt sorry to not take the leftovers back, but it's not convenient when visiting a city.

1 comment:

DZ said...

Cool! Can't wait for parts 2 and 3!