Last week I decided, "I'm gonna move out" and replied to 2 Craigslist room ads. I couldn't have picked more opposite living situations: one (that I visited) is a 2bedroom house where the housemate would be gone most of the time (hence quiet) while the other is a 6 bedroom apt seeking a 6th female!
It's funny how people think they know you more than you know yourself: my friend in Cville, when I told her about the 6bedroom place, said that sounds perfect for me. .. I don't think I want 5 roommates; sounds silly after being at a women's college, but a little too much estrogen, dorm-like. She asked me when was I happiest, and I thought, "where I had multiple roommates, which was Paris."
But last night, which I've experienced before and decide to forget, was not good at work. I was fine 2 hrs after the situation, but just hated my job and how I can't handle it, self-preserve. Basically, I had to call a woman about tours to China that I researched. I wasn't going to volunteer that I lived there, but she asked me outright, and I couldn't lie. She's Russian, and her cute, stereotypical accent reminded me of my friend Sasha. I don't mean to generalize, but I feel Russians (like many cultures) will maximize the opportunity whenever possible. So she was so happy to hear I had first-hand experience in China, and therefore, made all sorts of other requests. When I looked over my notes after calming down, I realized she didn't request that much, and I gave myself plenty of time to complete it. I'm just sick of researching travel in Asia, specifically China. See, I want to talk to people about my travels, but not to clients, because then they will expect more of us (specifically me, since I'll have to do it).
I will know next time. I have to lie and could have said, "I've heard they are very interesting cities." It's not just that I didn't want to lie, it's probably also I don't like to disappoint and feel the service would sound better. But we're not paid enough to "break our necks" researching crap for clients, and customer service agents have to disappoint all the time, including for self-preservation.
No comments:
Post a Comment