3/2/10

Oh, dash it all

I want to vege and watch movie upon movie.. if I had my own place. An alumna who I visited for lunch yesterday asked me to watch her place for almost 2 weeks. She lives about 20 minutes from me, so would be a longer commute. Her one cat is nice enough, Chocolate Mousse, but boy, did I wear the wrong combination of clothes: brown corduoroy pants and a dark purple shirt. I had to "roll" myself before leaving. After leaving I thought, "I don't want to housesit farther from things/people for that long, will be lonely." And yes, it may well be, but it also may be good for me, to have my own space. Training for moving out, which I hope to do in the next few months.

I thought my neighbor was going to call me today. I asked him if he could tell me about Passover, especially in Russian, since he is Jewish and speaks the language.

The title refers to my date. It's bittersweet: I realized we probably aren't compatible (we have the same birthday, after all!) but I'm glad that I know this now rather than later. I do regret a bit the time "wasted" thinking about him (because I was just so smitten when we met, and things took forever to materialize, so there was a lot of anticipation on my end). I hope he grows up soon (not for me, but just in general). It's strange: I know I can be insecure around the opposite sex, but it's weird to see an (older) guy be the same way. When we parted, he offered a hug like usual and said maybe we'd see each other soon. I was going to say, "Yes, if you invite me to do something." (In all fairness, he did invite me our last meal together but it was something we had discussed when we met, so I figured it was a given.)

I came home and announced the "news flash" to my mom and sis (and later my dad); how annoying it is to tell things singly! Ate half a box of dark chocolate-covered raisins that I bought the other day in anticipation of the French film festival at the end of the month. I got my pass in the mail today, despite not having sent "proof" of my student status yet. I am set! Contemporary French novel by my bedside and pass for a weekend full of French film-viewing. LSAT guy asked what I read, and I said I currently have different language books by my bed, including a 17th(?) century one about a younger man and an older woman and back and forth and how I think "Just do it!" ha. The guy is actually pretty smart.. I felt less smart around him. He reads foreign policy and techie mags and can enjoy eating alone. Sure, I can eat a meal alone but not make a habit out of it. I think he's a loner, which is something I don't understand. I guess a "warning" could have been there when we met, that he said he has wanderlust and likes to move. And tonight, he's thinking of teaching English in Cambodia. Well, that's great, but he's approaching 30.. I don't know, I just felt some of the English teachers I met in China were losers, like they couldn't quite get by in North American society. I probably sound judgemental. Ugh, I feel yucky and don't want to go out but it's a coworker's bday, and I bought her a funny card and won't see her tomor.

1 comment:

DZ said...

I am really happy for you that you found out that you two aren't compatible soon. Finding out later would make it so much harder, if sometimes impossible, to break up.