10/23/08

Lessons to learn

I almost cried at work tonight. Nothing catastrophic happened, it was just me adjusting to the work, overextending myself and getting frustrated: normal process for me. I met with my unhealthy tendency to take on too much and my overactive sense of urgency and willingness to please. Argh, why do I learn things the hard way?
I fulfilled an easy car rental in Alaska. Then I got a call from a cute 79 yr-old woman who rattled on. She wanted hotel, Tina Turner tickets, and transportation from the airport to hotel. I started researching the hotel, called one for availability and got confused by hotel lingo. Then I realized I could purchase the concert tickets on the phone since they were available, so called her back. She asked if I had found hotels yet, and I said the one, which she wanted me to book. But I was told by the associate helping me that I need to tell the customer the cancellation policy or I'm liable, and should always give 3 options. So I managed to get the concert tickets for her, and said we'd follow up with her tomorrow on the hotel and transport. After leaving I worried my notes in the case weren't perfect, would cause confusion for the person assigned to it tomor when I have the day off.
Lesson learned: take it easy, as I'm just starting out. If I try to handle too many things at once, I will either collapse in tears or blow up. It's just hard because I'm the only one working the evening on my side. Tonight only one was across the way, with her back to me, and my voice sounds so small when I call her name. I met the guy from Ghana in next section. He was friendly and gave some advice. His accent is nice.
Before work today I went to the Cupcakes place nearby but it was closed. (Mom didn't want a cake) However, if we go to a restaurant, can just have dessert there. Then went to Target; didn't know what to get her. Bought a moisturizing face mask cream that I really hope she uses because it was $20 (thought it was cheaper). Kelly predicts she won't and might want to use it instead. Dad bought her red carnations and left the price on the plastic bag (men).

No comments: