I try to keep a journal when I'm travelling but find I don't often feel like writing about it in my blog after the fact; it's like, it's passed and time to do other things.
Because I didn't have WiFi yday at my cousin's, I wrote things in my travel journal, so will write from there. Now I know the wireless code is on the box!
Actually, I wrote in French while in DC, so will translate.
I slept very well at the hostel. While I am young, and even after, I think I prefer hostels because hotels are so solitary; here one can meet Swiss, Chinese, French..
At the Asian Festival, there were 3 stages for peformances. I took a lot of photos. I felt a bit lonely there, thinking, "Why didn't I ask a friend to join?" but then this feeling passed, partially because there was interesting bellydancing and nice costumes to see.
Catherine and I arranged to meet up at 6pm at the hostel. We decided to try a Mexican restaurant that specializes in Oaxacan cuisine. I love that word "Oaxaca." I want to go just for the name (and blue corn tortillas). I had printed a 10% discount coupon. We walked a lot to arrive there. There wasn't a free table when we got there so we had a drink at the bar downstairs. Mojito ;). The hostess came down shortly after to say we could sit upstairs. The menu consisted of mole for the most part. I had amarillito (yellow) and Catherine, negro, with chicken. Then we walked to go back. I saw "Matchbox," where I had brunch with a friend a few months ago. There I had beer from San Fran infused with watermelon juice!
On Sunday we had breakfast at the hostel, which I last did with my sister and dad 2 Septembers ago before I started this dismal job. I proposed we go to Pentagon City shopping mall, where I had been last time, but it didn't open til 11. In the meantime, we looked at magazines in Borders and sipped on mango tea (Catherine) and early grey caramel latte (me) from Caribou. I wish I had left my backpack at the hostel for a small fee since we were back in that area later. We went to the Chinese cultural center to take a free tour on Chinese and German immigrants. I wasn't as interested in the latter. The tour didn't keep my interest very well but Catherine liked it, which is good. I felt lucky we were there 1 of the 2 weekends in the year they give such tours :). After that, we split ways because she wanted to go to the Capitol again. I went to a food festival but took a long time to walk there and wasn't that impressed with it. Then I went to search a metro and walked more than necessary, going to Farragut North on red line when I really wanted blue line. Then not paying attention, listening to iPod, took orange instead of blue train, and had to back track! But I met a captain in the Navy working in the Pentagon who gave me his card for a letter of rec, if needed! (Parents' age). Then I drove back to Richmond and felt anxious, that I had to pack to stay at my cousin's that week (and also probably not looking forward to work).
3 comments:
Wished that I could've been there!
Funny thing you mention that you still haven't read Dostoevsky...remember we were talking about a SNL skit with a weird ending that I thought referenced a Camus Novel called "The Double" It turns out that it is a Dostoevsky novel!
interesting. True I was surprised to hear it was from Camus. Made me want to read him again though!
Post a Comment